Tuesday, May 4, 2021

“FULL OF DECEIT AND ALL VILLAINY!”

 Acts 13:8-12                    (ESV)

“[8] But Elymas the magician (for that is the meaning of his name) opposed them, seeking to turn the proconsul away from the faith. [9] But Saul, who was also called Paul, filled with the HOLY SPIRIT, looked intently at him [10] and said, “You SON OF THE DEVIL, you ENEMY OF ALL RIGHTEOUSNESS, “FULL OF ALL DECEIT AND VILLAINY”, will you not STOP MAKING CROOKED THE STRAIGHT PATHS of the LORD? [11] And now, behold, the hand of the LORD is upon you, and you will be blind and unable to see the sun for a time.” Immediately mist and darkness fell upon him, and he went about seeking people to lead him by the hand. [12] Then the proconsul believed, when he saw what had occurred, for he was astonished at the teaching of the LORD.”





Villainy is described as “wicked or criminal behavior” and wicked as “morally very bad”.  In the Scripture above, Elymas had a testimony of both of these words and worse.  How disappointing it must have been to his mother and his father to have their offspring described by a man of TRUTH that way.  I would guess that Elymas didn’t set out to be described by the words that Paul used, but his life told a story that superseded what words could describe.  


What words would best describe what I KNOW could be said about my life?  Yes, I remember the dark, evil, even despicable lifestyle that I was rescued from by a HOLY GOD.  I am thankful to GOD ALMIGHTY that HE “will remember their sins no more” (Hebrews 9:12)!  Others may not be privy to the atrocities that I have committed, but JESUS SEES ALL and KNOWS ALL, yet HE went through Hell and the grace so that my sins would be eradicated by GOD!  Elymas was probably not as bad as I was, but JESUS saw what GOD SEES, and HE sacrificed HIMSELF anyway!


Elymas was described by Paul as “You SON OF THE DEVIL, you ENEMY OF ALL RIGHTEOUSNESS, “FULL OF ALL DECEIT AND VILLAINY”, will you not STOP MAKING CROOKED THE STRAIGHT PATHS of the LORD?”  But the Sacrifice of CHRIST made him on level ground with me in the EYES OF GOD.  You see, because of the Sacrifice of CHRIST, GOD SEES the life of CHRIST when he looks at me!  2 Corinthians 5:21 says “For our sake he made HIM (JESUS) to be sin who knew no sin, so that in HIM we might become the righteousness of GOD.”


Yes, before JESUS I was “FULL OF DECEIT AND ALL VILLAINY”!  But all GOD can see now is HIS SON when HE looks at me!  The PERFECTION OF CHRIST is “imputed” on me and my life “FULL OF DECEIT AND ALL VILLAINY” is “imputed” on HIM!  Thank YOU GOD for GRACE UNIMAGINABLE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment