Tuesday, December 20, 2016

"GIVE THANKS!"

1 Thessalonians 5:16-22                   (ESV)
"16 Rejoice always,
17 pray without ceasing,
18 "GIVE THANKS" IN ALL CIRCUMSTANCES; for this is the will of GOD in CHRIST JESUS for you.
19 Do not quench the Spirit.
20 Do not despise prophecies,
21 but test everything; hold fast what is good.
22 Abstain from every form of evil."



We are told rather plainly in the passage above something that most prefer to not focus on when studying scripture.   1 Thessalonians 5:18 says "GIVE THANKS" IN ALL CIRCUMSTANCES, for this is the will of GOD in CHRIST JESUS for you"!  To my dismay, it doesn't say "GIVE THANKS" when things are going the way we planned it to go!  It would seem almost sadistic to "GIVE THANKS" following a tragedy, such as the 9-11 terrorist attacks, or one of the Tsunamis that have occurred, but scripture instructs us to "GIVE THANKS" IN ALL CIRCUMSTANCES!!!

GOD doesn't need for me to understand everything, nor does HE gain glory from my understanding!  But HE does receive glory from me acknowledging that HE is worthy of me "GIVING THANKS", especially when I can't understand!!!

Maybe in time, as I become more Spiritually mature, I will understand more about the things that GOD directs and orchestrates in my life.  The biggest challenge for me is to understand that HIS timing is for my own good (Ecclesiastes 3:9-14), and that HIS Plan WILL be fulfilled, no matter how much we want to influence the outcome.  The stress and turmoil of trying to reach a goal (usually my plan) does not compare to GOD's Plan for the entire world!

When I finally understand that HIS Plan is far better than my plan, it becomes a lot easier to "GIVE THANKS" in all circumstances.  GOD loves us far too much to hurt us and is far too wise to make a mistake, so why can't I just relax and trust HIS Plans?  When we accept that HE is WHO HE says HE is, and is able to do more than we ever imagined, only then we we be able to properly "GIVE THANKS!"

No comments:

Post a Comment