Tuesday, February 9, 2016

"YOUR WORD!"

Psalms 119:9-16
"9 How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to "YOUR WORD".
10 With my whole heart I seek YOU; let me not wander from YOUR commandments!
11 I have stored up "YOUR WORD" IN MY HEART, that I might not sin against YOU.
12 Blessed are YOU, O LORD; teach me YOUR statutes!
13 With my lips I declare all the rules of YOUR mouth.
14 In the way of YOUR testimonies I delight as much as in all riches.
15 I will meditate on YOUR precepts and fix my eyes on YOUR ways.
16 I will delight in YOUR statutes; I will not forget "YOUR WORD"."



When growing up A FEW YEARS BACK, I recall going to Vacation Bible School and reciting the Pledge to the Christian flag, the Flag of the United States, and the Pledge to the Holy Bible.  Since my memory is not as trustworthy as I would like, I looked the Pledge to the Bible up.  My search found the following: "I pledge allegiance to the Bible, GOD's Holy Word, I will make it a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path and will hide its words IN MY HEART that I might not sin against GOD"!

Now obviously, we kids (this kid for sure!) didn't have the study skills in those days to dissect what we were reciting.  But in reading Psalms 119 recently I found "the pledge to the Holy Bible" in verses 11 and verse 105 which says "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path".  But verse 9 through verse 16 is so deep that my writings will not even scratch the surface of their meaning.

"How can a young man keep his way pure?" How I wish I had absorbed the true meaning of this verse when I was in VBS.  If we truly keep "YOUR WORD" in our hearts, not just in our minds through memorization, our lives will reflect "YOUR WORD" in our actions!  In verse 11 the English Standard Version uses the words "stored up" versus the King James Versions "hid".  The former is preferred by this reader as when I hide something I typically can't find it when I need it!  Having "YOUR WORD" stored up causes me to think of a "reserve" tank for fuel.  When you run low on fuel, you can switch to the the reserve tank and make it to your destination!

Having "YOUR WORD" stored up in my heart cannot be adequately done through a once a week Bible Study, or at church!  If we only fueled our vehicles up as much as we fueled our Spiritual lives, how far down the road would we make it?  None of us cherish the thought of running out of fuel and being stuck on the side of the road.  Yet we never pull over and fill up Spiritually, as we don't put as big a priority on having "YOUR WORD" stored up in our lives!

FATHER IN HEAVEN, cause me to keep my tank filled to capacity and be able to assist those who run their tanks dry!  Help me to stay in "YOUR WORD" and store "YOUR WORD" up in me!

No comments:

Post a Comment