Monday, September 25, 2017

"REPROVE, REBUKE and EXHORT!"

2 Timothy 4:1-4                              (ESV)
"1 I charge you in the presence of GOD and of CHRIST JESUS, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by HIS appearing and HIS kingdom:
2 preach the Word; be ready in season and out of season; "REPROVE, REBUKE and EXHORT", with complete patience and teaching.
3 For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions,
4 and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths."




One of the things I have found most beneficial to my Spiritual growth is to see what the dictionary says about the words that are in the Word!  Far too many times in my younger experiences, I have assumed what I thought was the correct meaning of a word, and accepted whatever that assumption was.  Today there three words that I am inclined to SLOW DOWN and examine and SEE what GOD is trying to show me by using the dictionary to help me.  

REPROVE: "to criticize or correct, especially gently:".... . Paul is writing on Timothy is this letter, but the HOLY SPIRIT uses Paul's writings to gently correct my life and move me toward a vessel used to Glorify GOD.  There are times, and many they are, that I am inclined to hastily read a few verses from GOD's Word, say a brief prayer, and consider myself "worthy" for the day.  Then I am reminded that JESUS CHRIST suffered unimaginable torture and separation from HIS FATHER all because I needed a Perfect Sacrifice and couldn't provide one!  And all because of HIS LOVE!!!!!!  Correcting me is a full time job and HE gently keeps at it!  

REBUKE: "to express sharp, stern disapproval of; reprove; reprimand".... .  Hebrews 4:12 says "For the word of GOD is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart."  The Word pierces, meaning it separates what man thinks is good from what GOD declares is good.  JESUS said in Mark 10:18 "And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call ME good? No one is good EXCEPT GOD ALONE."  When I examine the CROSS, and then examine my life, it humbles me to no end!  Why does ALMIGHTY GOD allow me to continue to breathe HIS oxygen???   


EXHORT: "to urge, advise, or caution earnestly; admonish urgently".... .  Always of the belief that this word was trying to tell me to "encourage", I have a hard time accepting that GOD is telling me to "urgently advise" people that living in sin definitely has its consequences.  However, I am to do all of these with "complete patience and teaching."  We must remember that we cannot change a heart, only ALMIGHTY GOD can do that!  We need to be faithful to do our part, and leave HIM to change hearts!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment