Wednesday, April 4, 2018

“BROKEN!”

Jeremiah 48:35-47                      (ESV)
“35 And I will bring to an end in Moab, declares the LORD, him who offers sacrifice in the high place and makes offerings to his god.
36 Therefore my heart moans for Moab like a flute, and my heart moans like a flute for the men of Kir-hareseth. Therefore the riches they gained have perished.
37 "For every head is shaved and every beard cut off. On all the hands are gashes, and around the waist is sackcloth.
38 On all the housetops of Moab and in the squares there is nothing but lamentation, for I have “BROKEN”Moab like a vessel for which no one cares, declares the LORD.
39 How it is “BROKEN”! How they wail! How Moab has turned his back in shame! So Moab has become a derision and a horror to all that are around him."
40 For thus says the LORD: "Behold, one shall fly swiftly like an eagle and spread his wings against Moab; 
41 the cities shall be taken and the strongholds seized. The heart of the warriors of Moab shall be in that day like the heart of a woman in her birth pains; 
42 Moab shall be destroyed and be no longer a people, because he magnified himself against the LORD. 
43 Terror, pit, and snare are before you, O inhabitant of Moab! declares the LORD. 
44 He who flees from the terror shall fall into the pit, and he who climbs out of the pit shall be caught in the snare. For I will bring these things upon Moab, the year of their punishment, declares the LORD. 
45 "In the shadow of Heshbon fugitives stop without strength, for fire came out from Heshbon, flame from the house of Sihon; it has destroyed the forehead of Moab, the crown of the sons of tumult. 
46 Woe to you, O Moab! The people of Chemosh are undone, for your sons have been taken captive, and your daughters into captivity. 
47 Yet I WILL RESTORE THE FORTUNES OF MOAB IN THE LATTER DAYS, declares the LORD." Thus far is the judgment on Moab.”



BROKEN!  I am sometimes guilty of discarding something once it is “BROKEN”!  My wife, on the other hand, is someone who almost never gives up on something that is “BROKEN”, she always SEE something good that it can be used for when it is fixed!  Recently she and I had the opportunity to witness the movie “I can only imagine”.  The lead character of the movie had a terrible childhood due to his father making some horrible choices, and he and his mom had to deal with the outcome of those choices.  He ultimately had to be “BROKEN” by the LORD to SEE what GOD had Planned for his future.  

We all have to play the hand we are dealt.  My father was non-existent from when I was four years old, and I was affected by that for most of my life.  But at least I wasn’t subjected to the physical abuse that is evident in a lot of circumstances.  Although I desires a dad around when I was growing up, in my older years GOD has shown me that there is something worse than not having a dad, like having an abusive dad!  

In the passage of scripture above, GOD tells us that Moab “shall be destroyed and be no longer a people” simply “because he magnified himself against the LORD”.  But then in the end, GOD says “I WILL RESTORE THE FORTUNES OF MOAB IN THE LATTER DAYS, declares the LORD."  


Hebrews 10:31 says “It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living GOD.”  The Moabites were made to realize this verse, and rather distinctly!  We need to live our lives in a “BROKEN” state so that ALMIGHTY GOD doesn’t have to break us.  Experience has shown me that HE is able to humble us in dramatic fashion.  Psalms 51:17 says “The sacrifices of GOD are a “BROKEN” spirit; a “BROKEN” and contrite heart, O GOD, YOU will not despise.”  Maybe it’s because HE wants to fix us for HIS Glory?!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment