Tuesday, October 23, 2018

“WHAT IS TRUTH?”

John 18:33-38                                       (ESV)
“33 So Pilate entered his headquarters again and called JESUS and said to HIM, "Are you the King of THE JEWS?"
34 JESUS answered, "Do you say this of your own accord, or did others say it to you about ME?"
35 Pilate answered, "Am I a Jew? YOUR own nation and the chief priests have delivered YOU over to me. What have you done?"
36 JESUS answered, "MY KINGDOM is not of THIS WORLD. If my kingdom were of THIS WORLD, my servants would have been fighting, that I might not be delivered over to THE JEWS. But MY KINGDOM is not from THE WORLD."
37 Then Pilate said to HIM, "So you are a king?" JESUS answered, "You say that I am a king. For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world-to bear witness to THE TRUTH. Everyone who is of THE TRUTH listens to MY voice."
38 Pilate said to HIM, "WHAT IS TRUTH?" After he had said this, he went back outside to THE JEWS and told them, "I find no guilt in HIM.”



Seeing that Pilate had the apparent authority to release JESUS from the shackles of sin manifested by THE JEWS, I used to be angry with Pilate for being a weasel and not standing up for what was THE TRUTH.  But Pilate was simply a tool in ALMIGHTY GOD’s Perfect Plan to redeem mankind......at least those who were CHOSEN by HIM to be used for HIS Glory!  

Pilate had questions about WHO this JESUS really was, for in John 19:33 he inquired from JESUS "Are you the King of THE JEWS?"  Evidently, Pilate knew that we ALL have a choice of who gets elevated to the throne of our own lives?  Being a JEW didn’t SET APART nearly as much as Belief that GOD is WHO HE says HE is.   The ones who were SET APART were the CHOSEN people who on a strategic mission in the battle between GOOD and evil.  Being an physical heir of Abraham wasn’t the thing that drew resistance from this world, but being a SPIRITUAL HEIR would definitely SET you APART.  

We have to be able to delineate between the “things of this world” and “the things of the Spirit” (1 John 2:15). Even Pilate was attempting to do this when he ask “WHAT IS TRUTH”?  Pilate didn’t have Knowledge that JESUS said in “I am the way, and THE TRUTH, and the life. No one comes to the FATHER except through me”!  JESUS IS/WAS/FOREVER WILL BE THE TRUTH, but Pilate’s eyes couldn’t SEE TRUTH.  

Why do you think that Pilate wasn’t able to SEE that JESUS WAS TRUTH?  There are MANY things in this life that I do not have the answer to, many things that simply don’t make sense to me. Like WHY ALMIGHTY GOD would sacrifice HIS ONE and ONLY Perfect SON just so I can be CHOSEN?  And why HE doesn’t strike me dead when I continually make sinful choices in my life.  Why did GOD “choose” a sinful example to be used for HIS Glory?


As Scripture is being played out before our very eyes, I need to proclaim HIS Goodness to the top of your lungs to those who cannot SEE “WHAT IS TRUTH”!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment