Friday, May 8, 2020

“MARTHA WAS DISTRACTED!”

Luke 10:38-42                                                (ESV)
“38 Now as they went on their way, JESUS entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed HIM into her house.
39 And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the LORD’S feet and listened to HIS teaching.
40 But “MARTHA WAS DISTRACTED” WITH MUCH SERVING. And she went up to HIM and said, "LORD, do YOU not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me."
41 But the LORD answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are ANXIOUS and TROUBLED about many things,
42 but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her."” 



Many times we get “caught up” in DOING THINGS that we convince ourselves are SERVING others, maybe even JESUS?  Martha was “caught up” in serving JESUS (and possibly others) and even complained to JESUS (ours and her CREATOR) that Mary wasn’t doing her part.  She was ANXIOUS and TROUBLED about many things.  

Personally speaking, I am guilty of getting my EYES off of what JESUS has for me AT THE MOMENT and onto what I would prefer to SEE happening!  Usually when I get to the point of excruciating frustration, only then do I realize that since GOD IS IN CONTROL, HE is perfectly capable of doing anything HE wants to accomplish WITHOUT me interfering!  The way I think things should work out isn’t always the same way GOD intends for them to happen.  While I am ANXIOUS and TROUBLED with the way I think things should be done, JESUS is calmly working HIS WILL... in HIS TIMING!  

A Bible Scholar on social media recently said “Perhaps the lockdown has taught us that we need to cultivate more of Mary's calm worshipful spirit, and less of Martha's scrambling busy fuss.”  Can you imagine how JESUS must have felt knowing that Martha was consumed with getting things done the way “she thought” they should be done, when all Mary doing was listening to THE MASTER?  Mary was being CHANGED by the MASTER, while “MARTHA WAS DISTRACTED”!!

JESUS says in Matthew 19:26 "With man this is impossible, but with GOD all things are possible."  GOD is perfectly capable of doing the menial things that I sometimes get “caught up” with doing.  Don’t allow the enemy to cloud your mind with how he wants you to think that you should be SERVING JESUS.  “MARTHA WAS DISTRACTED”, but I want to be busy being CHANGED BY THE MASTER!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment