Saturday, April 6, 2024

“THIS IS THE GREAT AND FIRST COMMANDMENT!”

Matthew 22:34-40                            (ESV)


The Great Commandment


“[34] But when the Pharisees heard that HE (JESUS) had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together. [35] And one of them, a lawyer, asked HIM a question to test HIM. [36] “TEACHER, which is the great commandment in the Law?” [37] And HE said to him, “You shall LOVE the LORD your GOD with all your HEART and with all your SOUL and with all your MIND. [38] “THIS IS THE GREAT AND FIRST COMMANDMENT”. [39] And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. [40] On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.””


Most mornings I don’t eat breakfast, I just take the oral medicine and supplements and spend invaluable time with THE CREATOR!  However, there are times when I start looking at social media and emails and get caught up in the cares/chaos of “this world”, almost unintentionally.  


In the passage of Scripture above JESUS is speaking to the Pharisees.  HIS answer to the question submitted to a lawyer, someone who supposedly “knew” the law,  but was trying to “catch” HIM with through the lawyers usage of words.  But a few verses later JESUS asked them a question, and their response was NILL!  In Matthew 22:46 it is recorded “And NO ONE was able to answer HIM a word, NOR FROM THAT DAY DID ANYONE DARE TO ASK HIM ANY MORE QUESTIONS.”


Why do I DARE to even ingest anything other than HIS WORD before spending time with THE WORD?  When I do I am openly inviting “the enemy” to infiltrate my thoughts, which is used to capture my mind!  JESUS, THE WORD, demonstrates in the verses above that HE is capable of silencing “the enemy”, and I CHOOSE to allow him access to my thoughts and mind instead of “letting go” and surrendering to HIS guidance?  


“THIS IS THE GREAT AND FIRST COMMANDMENT” of “You shall LOVE the LORD your GOD with all your HEART and with all your SOUL and with all your MIND” needs to be FIRST and FOREMOST on my heart!  SEEING “the enemy” capture my mind is a scary phenomenon.  I must acknowledge that surrendering any part of my thoughts to him is inviting chaos and confusion into my life!  I must remember that “THIS IS THE GREAT AND FIRST COMMANDMENT”, that I LOVE the LORD your GOD with all your HEART and with all your SOUL and with all your MIND!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment