Tuesday, March 31, 2015

"THE LORD IS AN AVENGER!"

1 Thessalonians 4:3-8                    (ESV)
"3 For this is the will of GOD, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality;
4 that EACH ONE OF YOU know how to CONTROL HIS OWN his own body in HOLINESS and HONOR,
5 not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know GOD;
6 that no one transgress and wrong his brother in this matter, because "THE LORD IS AN AVENGER" in all these things, as we told you beforehand and solemnly warned you.
7 For GOD has not called us for impurity, but in holiness.
8 Therefore whoever disregards this, disregards not man but GOD, who gives his HOLY SPIRIT to you."



When I was a YOUNG man, maybe 10-11 years old, my church carried a group to Texas Stadium in Irving Texas to hear Rev. Billy Graham speak.  The trip was long and hot, as air conditioning was not as widely used in those days.  Rev. Billy Graham is known for many good sayings, but one that I want to expound on today is "I think the Bible teaches that homosexuality is a sin, but the Bible also teaches that pride is a sin, jealousy is a sin, hate is a sin, and evil thoughts are a sin.  So I don't think that homosexuality should be chosen as the overwhelming sin we are doing today"!  

The Apostle Paul eluded exactly to this point in the scripture passage above.  He writes "THE LORD IS AN AVENGER" to let us know that GOD is capable of dealing with sin on HIS own timetable!  I am called to live my life HOLY, not to make sure others live their lives HOLY.  Sure, my life is to be an example for those who are lost, but as best as I can tell, that doesn't include trying to run their lives for them.  NOR does it mean they should dictate me adhering to their beliefs!  

We all will have to answer to GOD for OUR OWN actions at THE JUDGEMENT.  Rev. Billy Graham has a more commonly referred to quote that comes to mind, “It is the Holy Spirit's job to convict, GOD's job to judge and my job to love”!  "THE LORD IS AN AVENGER" let's me know that Rev. Billy Graham's previous quote has some pretty scriptural foundations!  Although I am called to live HOLY, I am not called to convict or judge people who choose not to live HOLY.   "THE LORD IS AN AVENGER" and HE doesn't need my help doing HIS job!

No comments:

Post a Comment