Monday, August 12, 2019

“EVEN THOUGH!”

Psalms 23:4                                                    (ESV)
““EVEN THOUGH” I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for YOU are with me; YOUR rod and YOUR staff, they comfort me.”



Being an EXTREMELY emotional person since the Brain Hemorrhage, I sometimes find myself in tears when a friend or loved one, or even a stranger, is going through difficulties, especially a medical challenge where the outcome is a bit intimidating.  Disease, illnesses, financial problems, relationship issues, and of course, earthly departures (among others) can TEST (or better said PROVE) our FAITH to reflect the image of CHRIST in us.  

Recently a friend who is fighting a disease in her life was told “I’m so sorry you’re having to go through this”.  In an effort to be supportive, a similar response has been used by yours truly in the past.  But WHO IS IN CONTROL of everything?  Is it not the same “YOU are with me” of Psalms 23:4?  Is HIS rod and HIS staff only used to comfort King David, or does GOD comfort me with them too?  

The writer of the 23rd Psalms was King David, “a man after GOD’s OWN heart” (1 Samuel 13:14),.  King David was a mighty warrior of GOD, a man who didn’t fear much!  As a boy (1 Samuel 17:33), he used a sling to drop Goliath in his tracks and conquer the Philistine Army.  Yet, when GOD needed to use his FAITH (or lack of it!), he was taken through “the valley of the shadow of death”!  King David was a man after GOD’S OWN heart, yet he still had to PROVE (and IMPROVE!) his FAITH. 

We aren’t exempt from PROVING our FAITH either!  “EVEN THOUGH” we think we are stalwarts of THE KINGDOM, we still have to exhibit that HE IS IN CONTROL, AND WE AREN’T!  As tough as it is for me to sometimes say, LORD, if YOU need to use me to demonstrate YOUR SOVEREIGNTY and MAJESTY, USE ME LORD!  “EVEN THOUGH” it causes me to experience valleys and tribulations, “EVEN THOUGH” I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, USE ME!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment