Friday, July 2, 2021

“WHY DID SARAH LAUGH?”

 Genesis 18:10-15

“[10] The LORD said, “I will surely return to you about this time next year, and Sarah your wife shall have a son.” And Sarah was listening at the tent door behind him. [11] Now Abraham and Sarah were old, ADVANCED IN YEARS. The way of women had ceased to be with Sarah. [12] So Sarah laughed to herself, saying, “After I am worn out, and my lord is old, shall I have pleasure?” [13] The LORD said to Abraham, “WHY DID SARAH LAUGH” and say, ‘Shall I indeed bear a child, now that I am old?’ [14] Is anything too hard for the LORD? At the appointed time I WILL return to you, about this time next year, and Sarah shall have a son.” [15] But Sarah denied it, saying, “I did not laugh,” for she was afraid. HE said, “No, but you did laugh.””




The account of Abraham and Sarah, formerly known as Abram and Sarai, has MANY lessons for us.  Just today My EYES have been OPENED to a TRUTH that I have never seen before.   In Romans 4:20, the Apostle Paul writes “No unbelief made him (Abraham) waver concerning the promise of GOD, but HE GREW STRONG IN HIS FAITH as he gave glory to GOD,”. If he was growing, that indicates to me that he hadn’t arrived yet in his spiritual maturity??  So I should be confident that GOD is ABLE to work in my weaknesses similar to working in the life of Abraham!


GOD changed the name of Abram to Abraham and Sarai to Sarah in Genesis 17.  But in Genesis 16 Sarai convinced Abram to NOT WAIT ON THE LORD and have a child with Hagar, her handmaiden.  Abram was 86 years old when Hagar gave birth to Ishmael according to Genesis 16:16.  In the next verse of Scripture GOD speaks to Abram and makes HIS COVENANT with him, in spite of Sarai’s and Abram’s failure to TRUST GOD to fulfill HIS PROMISE! 


GOD’s PROMISES aren’t made because of our goodness or worthiness, they are simply because HIS NAME IS TO BE PRAISED and we are CALLED to recognize HIM as GOD ALMIGHTY!  HE is, even though “I am undone” (Isaiah 6:5 KJV) and tremendously weak!  Abram and Sarai were changed to be known as Abraham and Sarah AND THEN GOD blessed them with Isaac (son of Promise) 14 years later or so!  


GOD “chose” to work in the life of Abraham, not because Abraham was worthy, but because GOD LOVED (Deuteronomy 7:7-8) him!  Why did GOD “choose” me?  Not because I am worthy, but because HE LOVES me!  Forgive me for LAUGHING when I read “WHY DID SARAH LAUGH”.  Maybe she was growing and could not yet SEE that GOD SPECIALIZES IN THE IMPOSSIBLE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment