Saturday, September 13, 2014

"GOD'S OWN POSSESSION!"

1 Peter 2:9-12               (NASB)
"9 But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for "GOD'S OWN POSSESSION", so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;
10 for you once were not a people, but now you are the PEOPLE OF GOD; you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.
11 Beloved, I urge you as aliens and strangers to ABSTAIN FROM FLESHLY LUSTS which wage war against the soul.
12 KEEP YOUR BEHAVIOR EXCELLENT among the Gentiles, so that in the thing in which they slander you as evildoers, they may BECAUSE of your GOOD DEEDS, as THEY OBSERVE them, GLORIFY GOD in the day of visitation."



This passage has always stood out in my mind about being a "chosen race", meaning skin color!  But when I consider John 4:24 ("GOD is a Spirit") and we are "a people for "GOD'S OWN POSSESSION", I am caused to consider more carefully what is being said to me in these verses.  

Why would GOD redeem a "wretch such as I" and then leave me here on earth to seemingly continually fail at living a sinless life?  What I consider "good" that I have done can be FAR outweighed by the hurt, failures, and basic sinfulness that I have exhibited since I was saved.  Arrogance and pride are quickly replaced with shame and humiliation at HIS judgement seat.

Verse twelve tells me all that is needed to be known about GOD's mercy and grace!  We are to KEEP OUR BEHAVIOR EXCELLENT so that when unbelievers see our "good deeds" they can OBSERVE them and ultimately GLORIFY GOD!   Our EXCELLENT BEHAVIOR is not meant to exhibit how sinless and pure we are!  Instead, we need to be all about GLORIFYING GOD in our lives and exalting HIS goodness!

Since GOD IS A SPIRIT and we are created in his likeness (or image), we should not be concerned with what clothing (SKIN COLOR) we have on!  We should be concerned that our SPIRIT is fellowshipping with the CREATOR's SPIRIT.  We were not made to be "GOD'S OWN POSSESSION" with a black suit, a white suit, a red suit, or any other color skin.  In Genesis 1:27 scripture records GOD created man "in HIS image".  My prayer is we return to being a people for "GOD'S OWN POSSESSION" and our actions would GLORIFY GOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment