Monday, September 8, 2014

"PROTECTIVE UMBRELLA!!"

Genesis 15:1-6             (KJV)
"1 After these things the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: "I AM THY SHIELD", and thy exceeding great reward.
2 And Abram said, Lord GOD, what wilt thou give me, seeing I go childless, and the steward of my house is this Eliezer of Damascus?
3 And Abram said, Behold, to me thou hast given no seed: and, lo, one born in my house is mine heir.
4 And, behold, the word of the LORD came unto him, saying, This shall not be thine heir; but he that shall come forth out of thine own bowels shall be thine heir.
5 And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be.
6 And he (Abram) BELIEVED in the LORD; and HE (GOD) counted it to him (Abram) for righteousness."



The scripture above was the focal scripture in a recent message to my church.  That evening in a Bible Study at another church, Dr. Tony Evans on video kept referring to GOD's "PROTECTIVE UMBRELLA".  I have never been accused of being the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I know when GOD is trying to tell me something!  I just have to have things said in a plainer tone to make me understand!

In Genesis 15:1 GOD told Abram not to be afraid that I AM THY SHIELD!  In Genesis 15:6 scripture records that Abram "BELIEVED in the LORD".  Did Abram exhibit some monumental works before GOD in a display of his faith in GOD?  Did Abram follow a set of man-made rules before GOD knew he believed?  Did Abram have to have the local church approve his lifestyle before GOD counted him righteous?

I AM---THY SHIELD is the way I kept hearing this verse after hearing Dr. Evans speak.  The GREAT I AM (Exodus 3:14) was Abrams, and is our, "PROTECTIVE UMBRELLA" from the evil one.  If we get in too big of a hurry and fail to WAIT ON THE LORD (Psalms 27:14, Isaiah 8:17, Proverbs 20:22, etc....) we may find ourselves having moved outside of HIS "PROTECTIVE UMBRELLA".

The same GOD that spoke to Abraham in Genesis 15 still speaks to us today.  The question is, are we interested in hearing from HIM?  Or are we in too big of a hurry, with worldliness and selfishness driving us, to "BE STILL" and listen to and for HIS voice?  LORD, I pray that I am willing to wait on YOUR timing, to remain under YOUR "PROTECTIVE UMBRELLA" and YOUR EXCEEDING GREAT REWARD!!,

No comments:

Post a Comment