Wednesday, December 9, 2015

"AT THE PROPER TIME!"

1 Peter 5:6-11                                    (ESV)
"6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of GOD so that "AT THE PROPER TIME" HE MAY EXALT YOU,
7 casting all your anxieties on HIM, because HE cares for you.
8 Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.
9 Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world.
10 And after you have suffered a little while, the GOD of all grace, WHO has called you to HIS eternal glory in CHRIST, will HIMSELF restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.
11 To HIM be the dominion forever and ever. Amen."  



Leaving the office one day I was a bit dejected, feeling I was not doing enough to make GOD's Plan for my life to come about.  When I got home I began reading a devotional and there was a reference to the scriptures above.  I went to the passage and read through the verses, and then started to read them again SLOWLY!

One trouble I have in hearing from GOD is I want to hear from GOD at the precise time I am asking to hear from HIM.  When I SLOWLY read the verses above I understood to "Humble yourselves" meant to allow the mighty hand of GOD to exalt me "AT THE PROPER TIME"!  If I am constantly worried that not enough is happening toward my perceived plan, I am living a testimony that GOD's Plan (and HIS timing) aren't good enough for my wellbeing.  When I "humble" myself I have to submit to HIS Plan to exalt me "AT THE PROPER TIME"!

Verse 9 reminds us that our "adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour".  The next two words are a premise I have a huge problem with.....RESIST HIM!  The enemy continually bombards me with"fear and doubt" that I am missing the mark in my service to the KING.  GOD has to constantly remind me that HE has a Plan and HIS ways are not my ways (Isaiah 55:8-9) so I need to WAIT on HIM (Psalms 27:14)!

Scripture states that "after a little while" our CREATOR will "restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you".  The children of Israel, I'm sure, would have preferred that GOD not let Pharaoh and the Egyptian army "overtake" them at the Red Sea.   But GOD had already said in Exodus 14:4 that HE "will get glory over Pharaoh and all his hosts", and the object was not for the Israelites to be comfortable, but for GOD to be glorified!  HIS promise is not to make sure my timeline is satisfied, but that HE work things out "AT THE PROPER TIME"!!

No comments:

Post a Comment