Friday, June 24, 2016

"THE VALLEY OF THE SHADOW OF DEATH!"

Psalms 23                    (ESV)
"1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 HE makes me lie down in green pastures. HE leads me beside still waters.
3 HE restores my soul. HE leads me in paths of righteousness for HIS name's sake.
4 Even though I walk through "THE VALLEY OF THE SHADOW OF DEATH", I will fear no evil, for YOU are with me; YOUR rod and YOUR staff, they comfort me.
5 YOU prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; YOU anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever."




Recently I was visiting with a client/friend who, like me, experienced a near death experience earlier in life.  In June 2006 he was in a plane crash that left him hospitalized for three weeks.  He had a difficult time of recovery and still experiences certain "handicaps" from the accident.  It was intriguing to hear of his experiences and how he appreciates life more now, and how he has slowed his life down since his accident.

Nine years ago next month my brain hemorrhaged and I was hospitalized for 31 days, then in Rehab for 21 days.  Both of us have interesting stories to tell.  When we were talking recently, it was almost like we were trying to "one up" the other, but in reality, we were both expressing how GOD is the only was we made it through our circumstance.  For me, when GOD delivered me through "THE VALLEY OF THE SHADOW OF DEATH" it became so much of a part of who I am that separating me from my healing is almost impossible.  I don't intend to bore people with my history, but I must tell them that it was GOD WHO got me where I am today.

There is no doubt we all could stand to slow our lives down just a bit.  King David wrote in the above scriptures several items like LIE DOWN, STILL WATERS, and ANOINTING WITH OIL, none of which are indicative of a modern day, fast-paced society.  The enemy attempts to get us on a "spinning-top", moving so fast that our lives are out of control.  We try to "make more", whether it's time, money, recreation, or anything to avoid spending time with our CREATOR!  And by keeping us busy, the enemy is accomplishing his goal!

GOD wants us to slow down and WALK, not run, through our schedules.  HE is able to move at whatever pace needed to gain HIM Glory!  But we are usually too busy trying to "make more" that we neglect GOD and HIS WORD.   The fact that GOD can slow us down from time to time has not escaped me.  When you WALK through "THE VALLEY OF THE SHADOW OF DEATH" you are able to SEE things from a different perspective.  My prayer is that you will not be too busy "making more" that you have to experience a something as dramatic as my friend and I.  "THE VALLEY OF THE SHADOW OF DEATH" is not a place you want to frequent!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment