Wednesday, August 25, 2021

“PLEASING IN THE SIGHT OF GOD!”

 1 Timothy 5:1-8                                           (ESV)


Instructions for the Church


[1] Do not rebuke an older man but encourage him as you would a father, younger men as brothers, [2] older women as mothers, younger women as sisters, in all purity.


[3] Honor widows who are TRULY widows. [4] But if a widow has children or grandchildren, LET THEM FIRST LEARN TO SHOW GODLINESS TO THEIR OWN HOUSEHOLD and to make some return to their parents, for this is “PLEASING IN THE SIGHT OF GOD”. [5] She who is truly a widow, left all alone, has set her hope on GOD and continues in supplications and prayers night and day, [6] but she who is self-indulgent is dead even while she lives. [7] Command these things as well, so that they may be without reproach. [8] But IF ANYONE DOES NOT PROVIDE FOR HIS RELATIVES, and especially for members of his household, he has DENIED THE FAITH and is WORSE THAN AN UNBELIEVER.”




The Apostle Paul was mentoring Timothy in an effort to grow him in the FAITH.  In this passage of Scripture he writes instructions for assistance to those who are older, as Timothy was still quite young, not only in the ministry, but in age as well.  When Paul writes “…IF ANYONE DOES NOT PROVIDE FOR HIS RELATIVES, and especially for members of his household, he has DENIED THE FAITH and is WORSE THAN AN UNBELIEVER”, it is a glaring indictment of people who are so caught up in their own success that they possibly ignore the needs of their own loved ones.  


But Paul also writes that when widows have children or grandchildren, those widows should be taken care of by their own family, not by the church.  Should the church ignore the needs of those neglected by their families?  That isn’t addressed here by Paul, but I would have a difficult time allowing even a neglected dog to suffer when in need.  


GOD will judge each of us on our deeds, as HE SEES and KNOWS everything according to HIS perspective.  We SHOULD be ever mindful of doing that which is “PLEASING IN THE SIGHT GOD”.  Let’s be honest, is there ANYTHING that is out of the SIGHT OF GOD?  Can we HIDE anything from our CREATOR?  Will I be able to stand before HIM on JUDGMENT DAY proud of the way I have treated those HE placed in my path?


Most of those close family members older than me have left this world.  All I have now are memories.  Cherished are the nights my wife and I spent playing cards with my grandparents.  The final month my mom was alive, I was able to spend my undistracted time with her as I was recovering from the Brain Hemorrhage.  But I also have memories of times when what I did was NOT “PLEASING IN THE SIGHT OF GOD”!  Help me, O GOD, SEE things through YOUR perspective and not through my earthly vision!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment