Sunday, January 26, 2014

"HOLY MEANNESS???"

Romans 16:19-20            (KJV)
"For your obedience is come abroad unto all men. I am glad therefore on your behalf: but yet I would have you wise unto that which is good, and simple concerning evil.  And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen."

Romans 16:19-20            (1599 Geneva Bible)
"19 For your obedience is come abroad among all: I am glad therefore of you: but yet I would have you wise unto that which is good, and simple concerning evil.
20 The God of peace shall tread Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you."

Romans 16:19-20             (ESV)
"19 For your obedience is known to all, so that I rejoice over you, but I want you to be wise as to what is good and innocent as to what is evil.
20 The God of peace will soon CRUSH Satan under your feet. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you."


I read out of several translation of scripture.  Some days I will read a passage out of seven or eight translations to get a better understanding of what the passage is giving instruction on. But some days, it is a slight bit of "holy meanness" that causes my search.  I must admit that I find slight enjoyment when I read of the enemies demise!!!

The English Standard Version of scripture tends to "twist" the knife a bit in verse 20 when it says "The God of peace will soon CRUSH Satan under your feet."  The enemy may cause some difficulty for a time, but scripture leaves NO DOUBT he will be CRUSHED!  And SOON!

How soon?  I too, would enjoy not having to wait any longer than a day or so for JESUS to come back, and I pray for HIS swift return. But, for those who have yet to come to a realization that there is something more than this life awaiting us, I pray for HIS gracious and merciful patience!

Whether my "holy meanness" is the correct feeling or not, I cannot say. But "The GOD of Peace" will "bruise", "tread", or "CRUSH" the enemy............. and SOON!

No comments:

Post a Comment