Thursday, December 6, 2018

“HID HIMSELF!”

John 12:36-43                         (ESV)
“36 While you have the LIGHT, believe in the LIGHT, that you may become sons of LIGHT." When JESUS had said these things, HE DEPARTED and “HID HIMSELF” from them.
37 Though HE HAD DONE SO MANY SIGNS before them, they still did not believe in HIM,
38 so that the word spoken by the prophet Isaiah might be fulfilled: "LORD, who has believed what he heard from us, and to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed?" 
39 Therefore they could not believe. For again Isaiah said,
40 "HE has BLINDED THEIR EYES and HARDENED THEIR HEART, lest they SEE with their eyes, and UNDERSTAND with their heart, and turn, and I would heal them." 
41 Isaiah said these things because HE saw HIS glory and spoke of HIM.
42 Nevertheless, many even of the authorities believed in HIM, but for fear of the Pharisees they did not confess it, so that they would not be put out of the synagogue;
43 for THEY LOVED THE GLORY THAT COMES FROM MAN MORE THAN THE GLORY THAT COMES FROM GOD!”



Recently I was once again made aware of people who are Spiritually BLIND and cannot SEE, and cannot understand TRUTH, even though it is right before them!  It is so easy to become frustrated with their BLINDNESS, but surely no one is frustrated with a physically blind person trying to find their way in this world?  That would be cold and callous, one would think?  

But I have been haughty, even judgmental, with Spiritually BLINDED people who cannot SEE TRUTH, even though JESUS speaks very plainly in John 15:16 that “You did not choose ME, but I chose you and appointed you...”!  JESUS “HID HIMSELF” from others., many times to avoid capture, some times to avoid controversy from those HE knew weren’t going to SEE HIM for WHO HE IS/WAS!  

Do the unbelievers CHOOSE to not SEE?  Scripture indicates that when one who is CHOSEN cannot SEE the error of their ways, ALMIGHTY GOD sometimes gets their attention!  In Acts 9:1-18, for example, Saul was persecuting people of The Way, seeking the glory of man.  But after his conversion Paul was used mightily to “....suffer for MY name’s sake...!”  


So I rejoice that JESUS CHOSE me and has not “HID HIMSELF” from me.  I am not worthy, I’ve done nothing to warrant HIS Grace, but HE elected to reveal HIMSELF to me for HIS GLORY.  How HUMBLING to think the GOD of CREATION could have “HID HIMSELF” from me and I would be on the broad path that leads to destruction.  HE could have “HID HIMSELF” from me and I would be as blind and defiant as the worst sinner!  As a matter of fact, I probably still am, but JESUS paid the debt for my sins and elevated me through HIS GRACE.  

No comments:

Post a Comment