Tuesday, May 3, 2022

“OUR FAITH!”

 

1 John 5:1-5                           (ESV)


Overcoming the World


“[1] Everyone who Believes that JESUS IS THE CHRIST has been born of GOD, and everyone who loves the FATHER loves whoever has been born of HIM. [2] By this we know that we love the children of GOD, when we love GOD and obey HIS commandments. [3] For this is the love of GOD, that we keep HIS commandments. And HIS commandments are not burdensome. [4] For everyone who has been born of GOD overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—“OUR FAITH”. [5] Who is it that overcomes the world except the one who believes that JESUS is the SON of GOD?”





One of the most difficult verses for me in the BIBLE is 1 John 5:4 “For everyone who has been born of GOD overcomes the world”!  Why do I continue to sin when I KNOW that I am a BELIEVER?  Then I remember Romans 7:15 where the Apostle Paul writes “For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate”.  It is reported that the Apostle Paul was likely beheaded by Roman leaderships authority.  His “testimony” acknowledges that he was a BELIEVER!  


Will I have what it takes to “stay the course” and never waiver when “OUR FAITH” is being challenged?  John is thought to have survived a vat of boiling oil in his later life, yet he didn’t “melt” under the possibility of being freed from his torment.  “Who is it that overcomes the world except the one who believes that JESUS is the SON of GOD?”  It is probably not going to be anyone who isn’t grounded in the TRUTH, as the TRUTH will set you free (John 8:32)!  Knowing THE WORD will prepare one to be emboldened to stand when the storms of “the enemy” are howling at our heels!!!


John endured much persecution in his lifetime!  He understood that “this world” was not his final resting place!  “OUR FAITH” tells us that we are only sojourners in “this world”, but our HOME (citizenship) is in HEAVEN (Philippians 3:20) and we need to REST in that assurance!  Our “fight” (Ephesians 6:12) is already won!  We simply need to remember that “OUR FAITH” is in the VICTOR and rest in HIS GRACE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment