Friday, June 3, 2022

“ONE THING!”

 Psalm 27:4                        (ESV)


    “[4] “ONE THING” have I asked of the LORD,

        that will I seek after:

    that I may dwell in the house of the LORD

        all the days of my life,

    to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD

        and to inquire in HIS temple.”





It isn’t very often that I use a single verse as the focal passage for my devotional, but the WORDS above say SO MUCH that they MUST be examined without any distractions.  To begin with, “ONE THING” says that King David desired from GOD more than anything else.  “That I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life” was that “ONE THING”!!!


King David is mostly remembered this servant as a humble shepherd boy, not the most glamorous of positions/occupations to list on your resume!  A shepherd during the time of the Old Testament was often, but not always, a child. Whatever his age, the shepherd’s job was to protect his flock and guide them to good pastures with plenty of food and slow-moving, easily accessible water.  One commentary states the following regarding being a shepherd.  “Just as shepherds guarded their sheep and cared for them day and night, so does God care for us. Even when life gets difficult, God protects us, guides us, and never leaves us. We can trust that God is the perfect Shepherd.”


Knowing the DEPTH of the preceding words, HOW could a person whose EYES have been OPENED select anyone or anything other than THE LORD to guide and direct their lives???  Certainly, being led by OUR CREATOR seems to be THE MOST advantageous choice a person could ever make?  “To gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to inquire in HIS temple” seems to make more sense than living inside of the grandest castle full of deceit and turmoil?  


“ONE THING” that we should ALL desire is to SEEK GOD’S UNMISTAKABLE PRESENCE in our lives, to always follow HIM?  But is that what I attempt to accomplish?  Or do I check my bank account FIRST AND THEN see what I can do for THE LORD?  SEEing that I am placing THE LORD FIRST in my life SHOULD be the “ONE THING” that never changes in my desires!  Cause me LORD to place YOU above my selfish desires and keep “ONE THING” the MAIN THING in my life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment