Saturday, November 15, 2014

"SOW MERCY!"

James 2:8-13                (ESV)
"8 If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing well.
9 But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors.
10 For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become accountable for all of it.
11 For he who said, "Do not commit adultery," also said, "Do not murder." If you do not commit adultery but do murder, you have become a transgressor of the law.
12 So speak and so act as those who are to be judged under the law of liberty.
13 For judgment is without MERCY to one who has shown no MERCY. MERCY triumphs over judgment."



MERCY:    an act of kindness, compassion or favor.

Recently my wife and I went to a concert by the Gaither Vocal Band.  One of the songs performed was "SOW MERCY".  That song has been on my heart and on my mind for the past few days!  It seems I can't get MERCY out of my thoughts!  The definition for MERCY is listed above.  To show KINDNESS, COMPASSION, or FAVOR to someone is one of the greatest feelings one can experience.  

The shortcomings of others are so easy to identify.  Our personal shortcomings are not as easy to admit to.   How much MERCY do we expect from THE FATHER to forgive our sins?  Is there a limit to HIS MERCY?  If so, do I test those limits at times?  

The New American Standard Bible translation says of James 2:13 "For judgment will be MERCILESS to one who has shown no mercy; mercy triumphs over judgment..."  Would we desire to have the same MERCY we show people who offend us be exhibited on our transgressions?  Can you imagine GOD withholding dispensation of MERCY in our lives based upon our willingness to forgive?  JESUS said to Peter in Matthew 18 to forgive "Seventy times seven"!  How much MERCY is required to forgive someone 490 times?  How much MERCY is required to forgive all of MY sins?  

It is MUCH easier to complain, accuse, and condemn others than to admit our own faults.  But when we 'SOW MERCY" to others who don't deserve it, we are truly exhibiting what CHRIST did for us to a lost world.  JESUS CHRIST never fails to forgive me for my many, many failures.  Why should I have any reservations about forgiving others for their shortcomings?  

HEAVENLY FATHER, I pray that my focus will be on living my life as JESUS CHRIST lived HIS life here on earth.  Cause me to not be so consumed with how I am treated by others, but how others are treated by me!  I need to "SOW MERCY" to a world that is lost without YOU.   

No comments:

Post a Comment