Wednesday, March 22, 2017

"THREE TIMES!"

John 21:15-17                       (ESV)
"15 When they had finished breakfast, JESUS said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you love ME more than these?" He said to HIM, "Yes, LORD; YOU know that I love YOU." HE said to him, "Feed MY lambs."
16 HE said to him a second time, "Simon, son of John, do you love ME?" HE said to him, "Yes, LORD; YOU know that I love YOU." He said to HIM, "Tend MY sheep."
17 HE said to him the third time, "Simon, son of John, do you love ME?" PETER WAS GRIEVED because HE said to him the third time, "Do you love me?" and he said to him, "LORD, YOU know everything; YOU  know that I love YOU." JESUS said to him, "Feed MY sheep."


GOD, THE SON, WAS SPEAKING TO PETER and "THREE TIMES" HE asked him basically the same question!  There have been many interpretations of what JESUS was trying to get Peter to SEE by asking "THREE TIMES" if Peter loved HIM, and I'm inclined to believe that JESUS was doing what needed to be done to glorify THE FATHER!

THE MAIN PURPOSE OF JESUS WAS TO GLORIFY THE FATHER (as evidenced in John 17:4), whether it embarrassed Peter (or me) or not.  Keep in mind, GOD is not concerned with glorifying us in our brief time on this earth, HE is ALL ABOUT GLORIFYING HIS NAME!  Isaiah 42:8 says "I AM the LORD; that is MY NAME; MY GLORY I give to no other, nor MY PRAISE to carved idols."  We shouldn't try to add to this.

THE WORD OF GOD IS ALIVE AND ACTIVE according to Hebrews 4:12, which says "For the WORD of GOD is LIVING and ACTIVE, sharper than any two-edged sword, PIERCING to the division of SOUL and of SPIRIT, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the THOUGHTS and INTENTIONS of the heart."  I have entered these notes in a version of scripture that I frequent:  Sometimes I am confounded by being able to read the BIBLE exactly where I have read it before and it minister to me in a totally different way.   Some people don't understand.  They ask how can words that were written so long ago have such a varied interpretation?"

The bottom line is, GOD could have intended HIS WORD to be used different purposes for me during different times of my life.  HE could use HIS WORD to speak to you differently at various times of your life.  Be careful not to try to make HIS WORD say what "you want it to" though, for HE is the final judge.  Sometimes HE may need me to hear the same question "THREE TIMES" before I understand what it is HE is trying to teach me?  To be found worthy by GOD ALMIGHTY to tell me anything "THREE TIMES" is an honor and privilege.  Don't become "GRIEVED" when HE speaks to you "THREE TIMES"!!! Be BLESSED!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment