Friday, May 10, 2019

“GOD’S CHOSEN ONES!”

Colossians 3:12-14                                           (ESV)
“12 Put on then, as “GODS’ CHOSEN ONES”, HOLY and BELOVED, COMPASSIONATE HEARTS, KINDNESS, HUMILITY, MEEKNESS, and PATIENCE,
13 bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the LORD has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.
14 And above all these put on LOVE, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.”



Being human does NOT make us equal with GOD!  That seems to be a rather obvious statement, but there are a host of people (many in the church of whom I used to be one!) who act as though they know what is best and GOD will make sure to fit HIS Plan into their actions!  C.S. Lewis has many thought provoking quotes.  One of those is: “There are two kinds of people: those who say to GOD, “Thy will be done”, and those to whom GOD says “All right, then, have it your way!”  

There are times when GOD doesn’t leave it up to us, or our choices!  In Acts 9, Saul was “breathing threats and murder against the disciples of the LORD”.  He wasn’t the least bit interested in slowing down and listening to GOD, only persecuting and berating members of THE WAY (Acts 9:2).  There isn’t recorded a “sinners prayer” being recited to mark the conversion of Saul, but he was RADICALLY changed......for HIS Glory!  In Acts 9:15-16 JESUS says “But the LORD said to him (Ananias), "Go, for he (Saul) is a CHOSEN instrument of MINE to carry MY name before the Gentiles and kings and the children of Israel.  For I will show him how much HE MUST SUFFER for the sake of MY NAME." 

When GOD’s Plan for my life revealed a Brain Hemorrhage in 2007, I never had the opportunity to pray for ALMIGHTY GOD to be Glorified with my illness and recovery.  When I was brought out of the 17 day coma I was not in the best shape, putting it mildly.  Recently I was thanking all of the nurses connected with me on social media for being a part of the journey I have experienced when one of the nurses said, “It tore my heart to see you like that.  I never expected the miraculous recovery that you made.  Made me proud just to be apart of the big picture.  The credit goes to GOD!”

Now certainly I didn’t plan the events that transpired over the next few years following the Brain Hemorrhage, but GOD knew that HE would gain Glory!  My recovery from the Brain Hemorrhage, nor the heart surgery 10 years later, have not made me holier, but they have afforded me the opportunity to profess HIS Mercy and Grace to anyone who will listen about how marvelous it is to have a relationship with THE CREATOR OF THE UNIVERSES!  

This same CREATOR instructs us as to be a number of things in the verses above, and to let these things be BOUND in LOVE!  LOVE is key, but the FIRST thing HE requires of “GOD’S CHOSEN ONES” is to be HOLY, or set apart!!!  We can do everything else listed in verse 12, but we must begin with being HOLY!  How often do I FAIL miserably at being HOLY before GOD?  Even while laying in the coma for 17 days, I was not being HOLY.  I am an unholy man TRUSTING in the sacrificial offering of JESUS for my salvation!  

NO, I AM NOT GOD, only JESUS is, and nobody else!  Religion won’t save you.  Money won’t save you.  Doing good deeds won’t save you. Giving to the poor won’t save you.  These are ALL things that we should do because we are a part of the family of GOD.  Since we are “GOD’S CHOSEN ONES” we need to do everything that reflects HIS presence in our lives, but begin with living HOLY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment