Thursday, December 12, 2019

“FRIEND, MOVE UP HIGHER!”

Luke 14:8-11                                               (ESV)
“8 "When you are invited by someone to a wedding feast, do not sit down in a place of honor, lest someone more distinguished than you be invited by him,
9 and he who invited you both will come and say to you, 'Give your place to this person,' and then you will begin with shame to take the lowest place.
10 But when you are invited, go and sit in the LOWEST PLACE, so that when YOUR HOST comes he may say to you, 'FRIEND, MOVE UP HIGHER.' Then you will be HONORED in the presence of all who sit at table with you.
11 For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."”


A few years ago today, seven years to be exact, I attended a conference where a distinguished man of GOD was downloading TRUTH to the people in attendance.  Being 6’6” tall from my teen years, I have learned through experience to sit where others won’t have to look around me while in a crowd.  When the speaker saw me near the back, he ushered me to the head table to be seated next to him.  A feeling of HONOR came over me like I have seldom experienced.  

In pondering the events of that day, I thought about the words of JESUS in Luke 14:8-11.  When we think too highly of ourselves the tendency is to be almost offended when others don’t have a similar opinion.  Romans 12:3 says “For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you NOT TO THINK OF MORE HIGHLY THAN HE OUGHT TO THINK, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that GOD has assigned”.  In Luke 14:11, JESUS, GOD IN THE FLESH, says “For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”  

Being HUMBLED in front of a crowd can be one of the most uncomfortable feelings known to man.  What makes it more painful is when we think we are higher than we ought to think!  From experience, I can attest to the fact that ALMIGHTY GOD is able to HUMBLE us with more GRACE than one can imagine.  But HE is also capable of HUMBLING us with an iron Hand, almost like having our seat at the head table pulled out from under us so everyone can see our lesson in HUMILITY!

The HONOR I experienced seven years ago cannot compare to the HUMILITY of previous experiences.  ALMIGHTY GOD is seated at the ULTIMATE HEAD TABLE!  HE can call any of us to sit with HIM at anytime.  Being HONORED is far more preferred by this servant than to be HUMBLED in front of the crowd.  'FRIEND, MOVE UP HIGHER.' is what I desire to hear from my JESUS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment