Thursday, February 20, 2014

"FAIR DEAL???"

Genesis 27:41-44                 (1599 Geneva Bible)
"41 Therefore Esau hated Jacob, because of the blessing, wherewith his father blessed him. And Esau thought in his mind, The days of mourning for my father will come shortly, then I will slay my brother Jacob.
42 And it was told to Rebekah of the words of Esau her elder son, and she sent and called Jacob her younger son, and said unto him, Behold, thy brother Esau is comforted against thee, meaning to kill thee:
43 Now therefore my son, hear my voice: arise, and flee thou to Haran to my brother Laban,
44 And tarry with him a while until thy brother’s fierceness be swaged."


"That's not FAIR"!  How many times have we heard that?  Why are some people blessed with great wealth, and others left in poverty?  Why is it that a seemingly perfectly healthy 33 year old woman dies from cancer, and her 46 year old sibling brother survives a brain hemorrhage?  Why do babies die in their early years?  Why does evil appear to win sometimes?  WHY???

I am sure that Esau wanted to have an explanation "WHY" Jacob (later named Israel by GOD) received the blessing of his father (Isaac) that he thought he was to receive?  To the human eye, it certainly seemed unfair that Jacob tricked Isaac into blessing him instead of Esau.  How could GOD bless a nation that was founded on deceit?  Why did GOD allow Jacob to deceive Isaac?  WHY???

Scripture informs us later in Jeremiah 55:8 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD."  GOD knew the heart of Esau and GOD knew the heart of Jacob.  GOD knew what Esau was, would eventually become, and HE knew what Jacob would become.  The heart of Jacob was in tune with the things of GOD, while the heart of Esau was focused on selfish desires.

GOD has a plan.  HE reveals HIS plans to whom HE chooses (Ephesians 1:4-10).  Although it seemed unfair through the worlds eyes for Jacob to receive Isaac's blessing, it seems just as unfair for me to receive grace from JESUS CHRIST!  How is it "FAIR" for the blameless, sinless SON of GOD to die a brutal death on Calvary's cross, just so a wretch, such as I, can enter HIS KINGDOM?  I have a friend who has told me that "If GOD were considered FAIR by man's standards, we would all be going to HELL"!  We should be comforted be the fact that GOD'S immortal definition of a "FAIR DEAL" is not impacted by mans mortal thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment