Tuesday, February 4, 2014

"REASONABLENESS???"

Philippians 4:4-7            (ESV)
"4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice.
5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand;
6 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Do you find it interesting that you sometimes read over verses that are surrounded by familiar, well known verses. I have always heard Philippians 4:4 quoted and Philippians 4:6-7 was the focal passage on the bible application on my phone recently. But I was stopped when reading Philippians 4:5. "Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand" would not let me go!

The King James Version says it this way "Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand." I began to research the verse a bit.  I found this account on the internet I thought worth sharing.  "The consideration of our Master’s approach, and our final account, should keep us from smiting our fellow-servants, support us under present sufferings, and moderate our affections to outward good. "He will take vengeance on your enemies, and reward your patience.’’

If JESUS CHRIST' spirit lives in me, I should fid it difficult to display anything but "reasonableness" or "moderation".  When I think of how many times I have been UNREASONABLE though, shame and guilt begin to creep into my life.  But Romans 7:24-25 is always there for me saying "Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?  Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin."

I pray I allow the Spirit of JESUS CHRIST to have preeminence in my behavior and that I let HIM be known to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment