Friday, February 28, 2014

"THEIR HEART???"

Mark 7:1-7                (1599 Geneva Bible)
"1 Then gathered unto him the Pharisees, and certain of the Scribes which came from Jerusalem.
2 And when they saw some of his disciples eat meat with common hands, (that is to say, unwashen) they complained.
3 (For the Pharisees, and all the Jews, except they wash their hands oft, eat not, holding the traditions of the Elders.
4 And when they come from the market, except they wash, they eat not: and many other things there be, which they have taken upon them to observe, as the washing of cups, and pots, and of brazen vessels, and of beds.)
5 Then asked him the Pharisees and Scribes, Why walk not thy disciples according to the tradition of the Elders, but eat meat with unwashen hands?
6 Then he answered and said unto them, Surely Isaiah hath prophesied well of you, hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoreth me with lips, but THEIR HEART is far away from me.
7 But they worship me in vain, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men."


Over the last few weeks GOD has been dealing with me about being judgemental, against my brothers and sisters in Christ, AND against people who are not believers.  JESUS was pointing out, rather abruptly, to the Scribes and Pharisees that they were MAJORING on the MINOR things in life, and the condition of their hearts was going unchanged.

Washing hands before eating was one of the pet peeves of the "righteous" in New Testament times. JESUS pointed out that their hands may have been clean, but "THEIR HEART" was far from HIM!  I want to make sure that my heart is focused on HIM and HIS Glory.   I don't want my focus to be clouded with other peoples faults!

One of the enemies favorite and most effective weapons is getting, and keeping, us so busy with small details that we don't take time to spend with our CREATOR!  We criticize others for their faults, and we don't have time to recognize our own faults.  We find it far more enjoyable to talk about someone else's wrongdoings than to expose our own shortcomings.

JESUS was the only ONE with no sin!  Don't admire others too much because they will ultimately fail you.  It's not that their bad, but they are human!  I am human too!  I may one day disappoint some because of my actions, or inaction.  "For there is no difference: for all have sinned, and are deprived of the glory of God" says Romans 3:23!  I am blessed to be able to claim the blood of JESUS for my depravity.  I pray that you can too!

No comments:

Post a Comment