Wednesday, February 11, 2015

"HUMBLE YOURSELVES!"

1 Peter 5:5-7                                          (ESV)
"5 Likewise, you who are younger, be subject to the elders. Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for "GOD opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."
6 "HUMBLE YOURSELVES", therefore, under the mighty hand of GOD so that at the proper time HE may exalt you,
7 casting all your anxieties on HIM, because HE cares for you."


JESUS had to do a lot of things for me during HIS earthly ministry, many of which were uncomfortable.  For me to be instructed to "HUMBLE YOURSELVES" is not something most of us would stand in line for!   As a matter of fact, most get almost offensive if they are HUMBLED by others.  One definition of HUMBLE says "having a feeling of insignificance, inferiority, SUBSERVIENCE, etc.:".  

So why did the Apostle Peter write that we should "HUMBLE YOURSELVES"?  In verse 5 above Peter writes "you who are younger, be subject to the elders".  The question would beg to be answered, who is YOUNGER?  YOUNGER can be subjective.  A 25 year-old person is YOUNGER than a 50 year-old person, but the 50 year-old may be YOUNGER than a 75 year-old?  One might consider that Peter was referring to Spiritual Maturity more than physical maturity?  Later on in verse 5 Peter instructs ALL OF YOU (me included!) to exhibit humility toward one another!  So a 75 year-old may need to humble himself to a 25 year-old FOR THE GLORY OF GOD?  The glorification of GOD should be what we all are consumed with.  

Having a Spirit of SUBSERVIENCE is not something that comes easily for me.  My preference is to DO WHAT I THINK IS BEST and suffer if I am wrong!  It might be GOD has sent someone into my life Spiritually younger, and maybe physically younger, to see if I will HUMBLE myself under the might hand of GOD?  The CORRECT answers may not always come from the most qualified, seemingly fit, source?  If GOD can speak through a donkey (Numbers 22:28), HE can certainly use other things in my life to get HIS message across to me!

We need to comprehend what we need to do to "HUMBLE YOURSELVES"!  Doing things that are contrary to GOD's Word and plan for our lives is not what HE will lead someone into your life to share with you!  For us show humility to others, we first must "HUMBLE YOURSELVES" before a Might GOD!  We will, more than likely, not always have the answers to all of the situations we find ourselves in.  Whether GOD chooses to speak to me through a donkey, a younger person, or a TREE, my prayer is that the words "HUMBLE YOURSELVES" will not be foreign to me!  

No comments:

Post a Comment