Sunday, April 12, 2015

"I AM THE LORD!"

Exodus 14:15-18                       (ESV)
"15 The LORD said to Moses, "Why do you cry to me? Tell the people of Israel to go forward.
16 Lift up your staff, and stretch out your hand over the sea and divide it, that the people of Israel may go through the sea on dry ground.
17 And I will harden the hearts of the Egyptians so that they shall go in after them, and I will get glory over Pharaoh and all his host, his chariots, and his horsemen.
18 And the Egyptians shall know that "I AM THE LORD", when I have gotten glory over Pharaoh, his chariots, and his horsemen."



The Exodus of the children of Israel from Egyptian captivity is one of my favorite displays of GOD's providence in the Bible.  The Egyptian Army was recognized as one of the fiercest of its time.  And the children of Israel were not known for their warrior mentality.  So when the Israelites were trapped at the Red Sea they understandably "cried out to GOD"in verse 10!  

Moses did not have a lot of options!  He was leading a reported 3 million people and they were trapped with mountains on the right and left, the Red Sea in front of them, and the charging Egyptian Army behind them!  The Bible doesn't say, but I'm sure Moses didn't question GOD's directions.  GOD promised to let the Israelis cross "on dry ground", and so they did.  The Egyptians chariots bogged down, according to Exodus 14:24-25!  To understand anything than GOD caused this is to TRY to limit what my GOD is capable of doing.

In verse 17 above GOD says "I will HARDEN the hearts of the Egyptians".  Now if Pharaoh was such a brilliant warrior and leader he might have seen the trap before him.  But he was overcome with anger and malice as his own son was killed during the Passover, and he wanted to get his slaves back.  His anger and malice would drive him and his hosts to a watery grave as GOD got GLORY over ALL of them!  

The children of Israel were not well prepared, well armed, nor well positioned to defend themselves.  In Exodus 14:14 Moses told the people "The LORD will fight for you, and you have only to be silent."  There are times in our lives when it may appear that ALL hope may be lost.  But GOD wants to be GLORIFIED in our lives, and we need only to be silent.  Whatever your predicament GOD is aware of it.  HE even planned for it (Jeremiah 29:11)!  HE may be wanting to show the world "I AM THE LORD"!  Or HE may be showing us that "I AM THE LORD"!  Regardless, there is no doubt, "I AM THE LORD" takes good care of me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment