Friday, April 24, 2015

"POWER OF GOD!"

1 Corinthians 2:1-5                    (ESV)
"1 And I, when I came to you, brothers, did not come proclaiming to you the testimony of GOD with lofty speech or wisdom.
2 For I decided to know nothing among you except JESUS CHRIST and HIM crucified.
3 And I was with you in weakness and in fear and much trembling,
4 and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power,
5 so that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the "POWER OF GOD!"



My use of the English language has never been up to the level of my high school speech teacher.  "Mrs. H" was so articulate and precise in her speech that sometimes I think of her when computer generated speech is being heard.  Not only did she use the proper words in forming sentences, she enunciated those words precisely when communicating.  I was always "too busy" to worry with correct language being used, as long as my point was made!

The Apostle Paul, although well educated, chose not to use his mastery of the language in speaking to the church at Corinth.  Paul understood, and lived the premise, that unless GOD does a work in a heart, the labor would be in vain (Psalms 127:1)!  JESUS even said in John 6:44 "NO ONE can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him".  To humbly debase yourself to acknowledge the power of ALMIGHTY GOD is not a bad thing, rather a submissive action.  Paul did not desire to grow the numbers of his ministry, but to see lives changed by only GOD!

There seems to be a current mindset of so-called "ministers" to enlarge their own flock, regardless of whether people grow and mature in the LORD.  GOD doesn't need a minister or ministry to draw attention to themselves, but to glorify HIM!  HE desires men to worship HIM in Spirit and truth and to recognize that HE IS WHO HE SAYS HE IS!  The ministry that glorifies itself, rather than the GOD WHO created that ministry, is missing the mark, whether intentionally or not.

The words we use can identify who and what we appear to be.  But the "POWER OF GOD" upon our lives reveals whether we are part of the true vine (John 15).  Using words that display "our" intellect instead of GOD's glory can be a vain attempt at self-glorification.  The Apostle Paul understood that, and did his best to avoid that.  My prayer is that my life will not glorify anything to do with self or ministry, but be used to demonstrate the "POWER OF GOD" 

No comments:

Post a Comment