Tuesday, April 21, 2015

"WALK IN THE LIGHT"!

1 John 1:5-10                          (ESV)
"5 This is the message we have heard from HIM and proclaim to you, that GOD is light, and in HIM is NO DARKNESS AT ALL.
6 If we say we have fellowship with HIM while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.
7 But if we "WALK IN THE LIGHT", as HE is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of JESUS HIS SON cleanses us from all sin.
8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, HE is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we say we have not sinned, we make HIM a liar, and HIS word is not in us."



Most mornings my routine is pretty similar.  I wake up, pray for a few minutes, go into the kitchen to begin breakfast, then sit down and do a pretty extensive Bible Study and meditation.  But this morning was a little different.  My wife has cleaned dishes last night and the only thing "dirty" was the dishes we had used at breakfast this morning.  I washed those dishes and it only took a few minutes as the left-over scrambled eggs in the skillet weren't dried yet!  There evidence of the dirtiness was easily removed.

My thoughts immediately went to CONFESSING OUR SINS and if we don't allow the sin to HARDEN OUR HEARTS it would be easier to confess and turn from them.  1 John 1:8 says "If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us".  ALL have sinned (Romans 3:23) so there are none who don't have to be concerned with asking for forgiveness.  We ALL have to CONFESS our failures, shortcomings and impurities to a HOLY GOD!  

My mind went to 1 John 1:9 and "If we CONFESS"!  When I went to 1 John chapter 1 the subtitle on that paragraph was WALKING IN THE LIGHT!  To walk in darkness can be an exhilarating thing, but it can also be an extremely painful experience!  Have you ever hit your shin on something you couldn't see because you didn't "WALK IN THE LIGHT"?  The memory of that pain is something I STILL remember!  I do my best to "WALK IN THE LIGHT" to avoid that painful experience again!

Getting back to my breakfast dishes, the skillet is now clean with no residue of scrambled eggs anywhere to be seen.  The remnants of breakfast was easily removed as it had not settled in and hardened.  When I "confess" my sins as soon as the Holy Spirit convicts me of them, they don't get a chance to "harden" my heart and let the devil play with my mind about how GOD SURELY wouldn't hold that against me?  Psalms 103:12 says HE removes our transgressions as far as the east is from the west!  If we "WALK IN THE LIGHT" and confess our sins as they are revealed to us, the pain of hitting our shins in the dark will not be as frequent!  

No comments:

Post a Comment