Sunday, February 17, 2013

"WE THE PEOPLE!"


WE THE PEOPLE

In the ninth grade my civics teacher was Billy Gardner.  On the FIRST day of school he issued a homework assignment, to memorize the Preamble to the Constitution of the United States.  I can STILL quote it to this day.  

"We the People of the United States, in order to perform a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do hereby establish and ordain this Constitution of the United States of America."

As a ninth grader I didn't really pay much attention to these words.  However, as I age the words are becoming more meaningful.  It took 116 days to pen the Constitution.  Much prayer and thought were submitted beforehand.  We need to realize that it was NOT a task taken lightly by the framers.  

WE THE PEOPLE were the first three words chosen.   Why would the framers use words such as these?  Why not say "THE GOVERNMENT OF THE UNITED STATES" shall, or 
"THE FEDERAL CONGLOMERATE" or something like that?  

I was not there in 1787, but the fact that the people who set up the CONSTITUTION saw fit to place "WE THE PEOPLE" as the first three words of our founding documents tells me where the "POWER" was delegated.  

Would the founders be pleased with where we have progressed to in 225 years?  A better question, is The Lord satisfied with the position The United States of America finds itself?  

In 1913 WE THE PEOPLE begin charging TAXES on our citizens to fund the "needs" of the government.  In just over 225 years we have grown into the largest economy in world history!   But, in all of our "SUCCESS", we have abandoned our principles and values on which we were founded.  "WE THE PEOPLE" have turned from being dependent upon a higher being for our existence to relying upon "THE GOVERNMENT OF THE UNITED STATES" to provide our needs.  When did we start depending on our government instead of our government depending on us?  

WE THE PEOPLE must return to not only our founding principles and values, WE THE PEOPLE must return to the mindset that the government is only what "WE" allow it to be.  Prayer was a regular way of life back then.  Now, those who pray are considered weak and needy!   

2 Corinthians 12:9-10 says "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."

Unless WE THE PEOPLE, one by one, return to "needing" HIM, then our country and our government is DANGER!  

No comments:

Post a Comment