Monday, August 19, 2013

"SHEPHERDING the flock!"

1 Peter 5:1-3   (NASB)
"Therefore, I exhort the elders among you, as your fellow elder and witness of the sufferings of Christ, and a partaker also of the glory that is to be revealed, shepherd the flock of God among you, exercising oversight not under compulsion, but voluntarily, according to the will of God; and not for sordid gain, but with eagerness; nor yet as lording it over those allotted to your charge, but proving to be examples to the flock."

Yesterday afternoon our fellowship "ordained" our Associate Pastor/Music Minister to preach the Gospel.  Our Pastor delivered the "Charge" message from the scripture above.  What was spoken to me in verses two and three has impacted my thoughts greatly.  

A shepherd is NOT a someone who herds cattle on the back of a horse with a lasso in one hand.  A shepherd is a loving, caring guide who SAFELY directs his sheep to food and water.  Too many Pastors today think they are GOD's appointed "Sergeant At Arms" to regulate the behavior of the saints.  

Scripture cannot be more plain.   Verse three says to be "examples" to the flock.   I remember being shown by my grandfather how to "hoe" the grass put of the rows of plants in the garden.  He could not just explain to me how to do it.  He had to "show" me how to gently strike the weeds, and not touch the plants.  He was an "example" to me how to do what I needed to do.   

I thank GOD for my Pastor (and former Associate Pastor) who are an "example" on how to live a life that glorifies GOD!  Perfect, they are not.  They are not "LORDS" over their flock, rather servants to us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment