Monday, September 9, 2013

"FORSAKING ALL!"

Luke 5:4-8; 11 "Now when he had left speaking, he said unto Simon, Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a draught. And Simon answering said unto him, Master, we have toiled all the night, and have taken nothing: nevertheless at thy word I will let down the net. And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake. And they beckoned unto their partners, which were in the other ship, that they should come and help them. And they came, and filled both the ships, so that they began to sink. When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus’ knees, saying, Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord." "11 And when they had brought their ships to land, they forsook all, and followed him." The soon to be disciples were exhausted from fishing all night. Scripture reports they had caught NOTHING! I am sure that frustration was not far from Peter and his friends. JESUS then comes along and instructs them to cast their nets out for a catch. I love Peter's response, "Master, we have toiled all the night, and have taken nothing: NEVERTHELESS at thy word I will let down the net." Peter was saying in spite of the failures they had experienced all night, they were willing to cast their nets out again "in obedience" to the request of JESUS. The results were ASTOUNDING! The nets started breaking, causing Peter to call his friends to bring their boat to assist. Their catch was so tremendous, their vessels began to sink! Peter immediately knew he was in the presence of Divinity and proclaimed "I am a sinner, O Lord!" In his heart, he knew JESUS was no ordinary being. Never had he seen such a display of supernatural abilities. He knew he had to be around JESUS! Verse 11 tells they all got back to land, "FORSOOK ALL", and followed JESUS. I wonder if I would have had the chutzpah to "FORSAKE ALL" to follow GOD IN THE FLESH! Maybe GOD is waiting for me to go back out "and when they had this done"! Maybe I need to keep doing what I have been called to do, and leave the filling of the nets up to the ONE who can fill them. "FORSAKING ALL" is still relevant today. Would I be obedient to surrender my desires and wishes for HIM? Is serving HIM more important to me than the catch? Scripture says that, although there was great wealth in their catch, they ALL followed HIM. We are not ALL called to be a missionary to the African jungles or the Alaskan Yukon. But JESUS has called each one of us to Follow HIM! The question for each of us is will we "FORSAKE ALL" and follow HIM?

No comments:

Post a Comment