Monday, December 16, 2013

"BUILT-INS!"

Matthew 18:1-4                (KJV)
"1 At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?
2 And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,
3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven."

Most modern houses come with "BUILT IN" appliances, amenities, or something to potentially increase the worth to a potential buyer.  GOD is the Master Builder.   When HE created mankind, HE "built in" some features that most of us take for granted.  For instance, it would be awful to have to remind yourself to inhale every time you needed oxygen!  Some "built ins" are essential.  But some are not.  For instance, I need to overcome the "built in" of eating so much!!!  And I have learned that I need to shut my mouth sometimes.

The disciples came to JESUS with a "built in" that HE proclaimed they needed to overcome. The "need to succeed" is something we all need to address. Our Adamic nature causes us to strive to be the best at what we are doing.  In athletics, we want to win a game, then win our league, then win our district, then win our state championship, and maybe on to a national championship.   Even some titles go on to claim they are the Best in the World!

JESUS instructed HIS disciples to get past the "built in" of wanting to be first. Serving others is the "built in" HE proclaimed they needed to develop.  "Becoming as little children" requires one to be treated as children are treated. I recall wanting to be eighteen years old so badly. I wanted my independence.  I wanted to make my own decisions.  I became a Christian at age seventeen years six months!  I still made "my own decisions" for awhile, but GOD had control of my life enough to guide my ship away from any shipwreck.  My independence became a dependence!!

As I have continued to grow is HIS grace, there have been times when my unfavorable "built ins" have had to be removed.  There are some Godly "built ins" that I need to accentuate.   Unless I became as a little child, JESUS said I could not enter into the Kingdom of Heaven. As I "grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ"(2 Peter 3:18), I pray that I will remember where JESUS said I have to, not stay, but become!  I will continue to remove some "BUILT INS"!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment