Wednesday, December 18, 2013

"DISENGAGE YOURSELVES!"

1 Peter 1:13-16           (KJV)
"Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance: But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy."

1 Peter 1:13-16           (ESV)
"Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.  As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, "You shall be holy, for I am holy."

I generally read, study, and meditate the King James Version of the bible.  But today, I could not get a strong hold on what was meant by "gird up the loins of your mind".   I went to the ESV Bible, the NASB version, and finally googled "gird up the loins of your mind". I found this one commentary that spoke to me profoundly. "Disengage yourselves from all that would hinder you, and go on resolutely in your obedience"!  Now, I am sure I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but what I am hearing is all, of items that detract from obedience in my life should be "disengaged" from.  Why?  So that we can live lives free from infection (SIN)!

GOD is not trying to be a DRILL SEARGENT to all of HIS children.  At times, HE speaks with a still, small voice (1 Kings 19:11-13) to guide and direct us in living HOLY lives.  "Be ye holy; for I am holy" is not a suggestion, rather a " ROADMAP" to a successful life, free from infection (SIN).  GOD could have made us as robots, doing just what HE approved.  But, GOD IS LOVE, and HE desires us to LOVE HIM and live for HIM.

"Disengage yourselves from ALL that would hinder you", or "gird up the loins of your mind" should be a goal of all believers.  LORD, I pray that my mind will be insulated from the things of this world.  I pray my mind will be focused on the things related to YOU and THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment