Wednesday, December 4, 2013

"FORGET NOT MY LAW!"

Proverbs 3:1-4                (KJV)
"1 My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments:
2 For length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee.
3 Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart:
4 So shalt thou find favour and good understanding in the sight of God and man."


In 1994, when I began selling property and casualty insurance, my best friend made me a FAX COVER SHEET.  He placed a bible verse on that SHEET that has stuck with me for many years. It was Proverbs 3:5-6 which says "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."  Those verses have been highlighted in my Bible since.  When I opened my Bible today, it opened to Proverbs 3:5-6.  I began to read at the beginning of the chapter, instead of the highlighted verses.

I began reading in verse ONE of chapter 3.  "My son, FORGET NOT MY LAW!"  My mind went to Joshua 1:8 where GOD instructs Joshua "thou shalt meditate therein day and night" the Book of Law.   GOD's Word needs to be IMPRINTED on our hearts "so that I might not sin against thee"(Psm 119:11)!

Why should we keep "HIS WORD"?  The answer lies in verse 2!  "For length of days, and long life, and PEACE, shall they add to thee"!   Everyone wants to live a long life, but who wants to live a long life in TURMOIL?  GOD's WORD brings PEACE!

We need to write "MERCY and TRUTH" on our hearts.  So we can "find favour and good understanding in the sight of God and man."  "Favor and good understanding" in the sight of GOD and man!  Isn't that a good description of PEACE?

Richard Pryor was a famous comedian/actor during the 70s & 80s. He said in an interview on "E Television" in the early 90's, when asked if he could do it all over again, what would he change?  His response has made an impact in my life.  He simply said "I want PEACE"!  He did not want more money, fame, bigger roles in movies....he wanted the thing that money could not buy!  He desired PEACE!

The way one can have PEACE, according to The Bible, is let our hearts keep HIS commandments.  We can choose THE TURMOIL of trying to do "our best", or we can choose the PEACE from keeping HIS WORD!

No comments:

Post a Comment