Wednesday, November 6, 2013

"GOD IS LOVE!"

Genesis 24:12      (KJV)
"And he said, O LORD God of my master Abraham, I pray thee, send me good speed this day, and shew kindness unto my master Abraham."

Genesis 24:12     NASB
"He said, "O Lord, the God of my master Abraham, please grant me success today, and show lovingkindness to my master Abraham."

Genesis 24:12        ESV
"And he said, "O LORD, God of my master Abraham, please grant me success today and show steadfast love to my master Abraham."

The way the English Standard Version records this verse speaks to me greatly.  In verse two of chapter twenty four, it is written that Abraham directed his servant, who had charge of ALL he had, to swear to Abraham an oath that he would not take a wife for Isaac among the Canaanites, but he would "go to my country and to my kindred, and take a wife for my son Isaac."

Abrahams servant prayed a short prayer.  Scripture indicates that before he got all of the words out of his mouth, he saw Rebekah, the  future wife of Isaac.  I love the way ESV conveys his request to GOD.  "Please grant me success today"!  The words show a deep love and concern for Abraham.  The servants prayer could have been to be personally blessed by Abraham, or to be given the "bounty" he was carrying for Rebekah.  But the servants love for Abraham was too great!

The servant then prayed for GOD to show HIS "steadfast" love to Abraham.  Whether the servant knew it or not, he was acknowledging GOD to be the loving GOD that HE is.  GOD is LOVE!  HE always has been!  HE always will be!  

I wonder if I, had I been alive in Abrahams time, would have been found trustworthy enough to be sent to a foreign country with treasure and bounty to seek a wife for a man of whom I was a servant?  GOD knew, and even ordained, that the servant would act properly for through this act HE would ultimately bring JESUS into the world.

I need to be faithful to my GOD in everything I do.  The servant of Abraham was "ready, willing, and able" to perform the task he was assigned.   It is my desire to be "ready, willing, and able" to serve where HE leads me, and to exude the FACT that GOD IS LOVE!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment