Friday, November 15, 2013

"PEDESTALS and BOXES!"

James 2:1-10      (NASB)
"My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. For if a man comes into your assembly with a gold ring and dressed in fine clothes, and there also comes in a poor man in dirty clothes, and you pay special attention to the one who is wearing the fine clothes, and say, "You sit here in a good place," and you say to the poor man, "You stand over there, or sit down by my footstool," have you not made distinctions among yourselves, and become judges with evil motives? Listen, my beloved brethren: did not God choose the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him? But you have dishonored the poor man. Is it not the rich who oppress you and personally drag you into court? Do they not blaspheme the fair name by which you have been called? If, however, you are fulfilling the royal law according to the Scripture, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing well. But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors. For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all."

I have been blessed with a personality to not ever meet a stranger.  I guess I am so dumb to think everyone has to put their pants on "one leg at a time" like me!  My wife is a bit more reserved.  She will speak to you "if she is spoken to", but don't look for her to start up many conversations.

We have friends who are "dirt poor" and we have friends who have millions of dollars in their portfolio.  Most of our wealthy friends are not so enamored with their wealth they look down on us.  We certainly don't have enough possessions to look down on anyone else!

But, while reading this passage, I am convicted that I may put some people either on a "pedestal" or "in a box" in my dealings with them.  The ones that have "more" tend to get more attention than the ones who don't have "as much" from our business.  Of course, the more you have, the more you can lose!

All people, ALL PEOPLE, have a SOUL!  Most have heard my favorite C.S. Lewis quote "You don't have a SOUL; You are a SOUL!;  You have a body!!"   Whether a soul has great wealth, or a soul is financially challenged, scripture says they all deserve equal treatment.  As a matter of fact, in verse 5 James says "did not God choose the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him?"  

I should glory in the fact that I am building eternal housing in Heaven.  And in Heaven, there will be no wealth or possessions.  Even all of our "crowns" will be laid at the feet of JESUS (Rev 4:10).  I will make it a point to avoid "PEDESTALS" and "BOXES" for the souls GOD allows me to be exposed to. GOD sees our Souls!  I should be looking at the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment