Thursday, October 16, 2014

"THE GOOD SHEPHERD!"

Psalms 23:1-6                         (KJV)
"1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever."







One of the most familiar passages in the Bible has to be Psalms 23.   As a matter of fact, the passage is used so frequently that sometimes it is quoted without giving much thought to the words of the text.   

Psalms 23:1 begins with "The LORD is my Shepherd".  If GOD is our Shepherd, then I must be one of the sheep.   Now sheep are known for being one of the most dependent creatures of Creation.  But sheep are not dumb. While sheep are smart enough to find grass when they are hungry, they typically depend on their Shepherd to find a SAFE place to water and rest (v.2-3).  

The fourth verse is the most comforting of the 23rd Psalm to me.  Even when we are exposed to the "valley of the shadow of death" there is no need to fear!  GOD is the Creator of all and HE is our protector and sustainer.  The enemy may make our path like a scary haunted house, but we are protected by The Creator!  The ONE who created all, even the evil one (Genesis 3:1), is our Shepherd, the One who "protects, guides, or watches over a person or group of people".  HE is the One watching over us in our lives.

In Matthew 18 JESUS speaks of a Shepherd leaving his flock and looking for a sheep who is in trouble.  The Shepherd will leave the flock because there is strength in numbers, and the lost sheep is all alone.  When you feel like you are all alone and there is no escape from the "valley of the shadow of death", please know that "THE GOOD SHEPHERD" is there for you.  You may have wandered far from the flock, but HE has come to find you and lead you back into HIS fold!  

No comments:

Post a Comment