Saturday, May 18, 2013

MATTHEW 16

This morning I have been studying Matthew 16.  I am humbled and moved by reading what "my Lord and Saviour" had to relay to HIS disciples.  

The Apostle Peter was known for his boisterous, dramatic, yet imperfect relationship with The LORD.  In verse 18 The LORD is telling Peter "And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."  Keep in mind, The LORD says "I" will build "MY" church!  

Yet, only five verses later, The LORD is having to correct Peter.  Verse 23 reveals "But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men."  

As believers we are NOT exempt from the effects and influence of evil.  Peter had just been told by JESUS that JESUS' church would be built on faith similar to Peter's.  One can speculate that pride (or any number of other sins) was creeping into Peter's life. In verse 23 JESUS had to identify the spirit of satan and pointed out to us that the things of man (our take on things)  were NOT the things of GOD!  

Fame, wealth, nor prestige will matter on Judgement Day!  The things of GOD may not matter to the world, but JESUS says that HE is not of this world and it's temporary mindset!  (John 8:23).   Father, help me to remember that I am only a "sojourner" in this world and my purpose in this life is to bring honor and glory to YOU and YOUR KINGDOM!  

No comments:

Post a Comment