Friday, June 7, 2013

Bishop Robert E. Smith Birthday!

Today I join Robert E. Smith, Jr. In celebrating his birthday. "Bishop" Smith, as he is known to many, is as GODLY a man as I have been privileged to meet. His skin color is darker than mine, yet he is my brother like no other man I know. So much is made about what "race" a person is. Bishop Smith pointed out to me in 2 Corinthians 5:14-18 (ESV) "For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died; and he died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised. From now on, therefore, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we once regarded Christ according to the flesh, we regard him thus no longer. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a NEW CREATION. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation". The 17th Chapter of John's Gospel enlightens us of JESUS' prayer to HIS heavenly FATHER. JESUS says to The FATHER in verse 21 "That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me." JESUS was Jewish ! But HE died for ALL (2 Cor 5:15). If we are "one in US", then we are all "ONE" with HIM. If HE gave us the ministry of reconciliation, why do we have strife between us? Why do we focus do much attention on who we are "physically" rather than promoting who we are "spiritually"? Bishop Robert E. Smith is not only my friend, he is my spiritual brother! And since we choose to focus on the spiritual, THAT is what matters!

No comments:

Post a Comment