Monday, May 5, 2014

"LEAVE THE TENT!"

2 Corinthians 5:6-9              (ESV)
"6 So we are always of good courage. We know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord,
7 for we WALK by faith, not by sight.
8 Yes, we are of good courage, and WE WOULD RATHER BE AWAY FROM THE BODY and  AT WITH THE LORD.
9 So whether we are at home or away, we make it our AIM TO PLEASE HIM."


Traveling has always been an enjoyment of mine.  I have always relished in the journey as much as the destination.  Being a busy-"body" has always been a trait I have had since childhood.  I lived for softball season in my early adulthood, as softball tournaments presented the perfect opportunity to travel and play a game I loved.

But as I mature I find myself becoming more comfortable with staying near home.  I would enjoy still going out of town and running "in the fast lane", but I am not sure my "body" could hold up to the activity level I once operated.  The practice of WALKing by faith (not running by faith) is something that GOD is continually dealing with me about.  Psalms 46:10 (BE STILL) and Psalms 27:14 (WAIT ON THE LORD) always required me slowing down......and I didn't have time for that!  It seemed I would rather be doing something!

In the book of Exodus 33:11, Moses was talked to by GOD "as a man speaks to his friend".  But when Moses returned to the camp, Joshua (Moses' assistant) would not leave the tent, or temple!  Evidently Joshua enjoyed being in the presence of JEHOVAH so much he wanted to stay there!  But he was the one GOD had chosen to lead the Children of Israel into the Promised Land.  YOU CAN'T LEAD PEOPLE UNLESS YOU LEAVE THE TENT!

The Apostle Paul was similar in his desires.  He understood his "body" was just a dwelling place, a temple if you will, for his spirit to inhabit.  He wrote in Philippians 1:23-24 "I am hard pressed between the two.  MY DESIRE is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account."

Sometimes our desire is to stay in the tent with GOD.  But HE may have other work for us to do.  Whether HE is needing us to lead HIS children, or minister to HIS saints, or tell others about HIS power and greatness, sometimes we must "LEAVE THE TENT!"

No comments:

Post a Comment